Friday, November 2, 2012

Reminders, Siri & Maggieisms

Sometimes I have so much to write about, I spend too much time thinking about what to write, and then it all slips away like rays of sunshine on a cloudy day.

Already my school is two grading periods into this academic year and I have yet to share any  interesting tidbits from my DIs (Darling Inspirations). It's not because I don't have some interesting items. Rather, the ones I do have are so off the charts or off the chain (depending upon your age demographics) that I would be embarrassed (for those DIs) to write anything about it.

I have been trying, though. I keep a list of items I find amusing hoping to fashion them into funny posts. I make my list with the help of my new pal Siri. Yep,  I finally joined the ranks of the rest of the planet with my recent purchase of my very, very first smart phone–the iPhone 5. I think it's the neatest thing since sliced bread and dark chocolate. 

But even my new pal Siri can't save me from all these cryptic notes she jots down for me in my "reminders." Things like "Maggie is to do homework" and "number 13."

"Siri," I ask just a tad exasperated, "what does all that mean?"
"Sorry, Richie," she says, "I don't understand what you mean. Shall I search the web for you?"

Sorry, Siri, not even an all out web search or a fancy, schmancy decoder ring can help me decipher those notes.

I finally did remember what that Maggie thing was all about. One of my good friends has a granddaughter who says the funniest things which, of course, my friend duly posts on Facebook. (She refers to them as "Maggieisms). 

One of her most recent Maggieism was a conversation Maggie had with her mom. It went like this…
Mom: "Maggie, did you do your homework?"
Maggie: "I don't have to. It's 'do' tomorrow."
Mom: "That means you need to do it tonight."
Maggie: "I thought that meant 'do' it tomorrow."
 
I think I'm on Team Maggie.
 

No comments: