Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Me, Miners & Mints

I try and post something new every Sunday evening or Monday morning, but time sort of ticked on by me this weekend.
I wish I could say that my weekend was filled with fun and frivolity, but sadly, most of it was spent with little fun involved but lots of frivolous stuff. You know, stuff like having to grade 95 photographs, stuff like having to finally wash socks, stuff like having to figure out how to squeeze 45 hours worth of work in a 24 hour day.

You know, that kind of stuff. And we all know that that kind of stuff makes me grumpy, and grumpy makes me less than funny, and less than funny makes it difficult to write. So for the past 24 hours, I've tried to get my funnyback, but that may take a little more time.

But while we're waiting for the funny to kick back in, let's talk about a recent classroom exchange. We were discussing current events in my journalism class when I mentioned the 33 Chilean miners who were trapped for more than two months. 

One of the kiddos raised his hand and asked, "Why are there so many miners underground?"

"Yeah,"  said another student.

Me: "Because that's what miners do. They mine stuff underground."

Student (still sounding a bit perplexed): "Oh…"

Me: You know, stuff like gold, coal… that sort of stuff."

Student: "Ohhhhh… I thought we were talking about minors…You know, underage people… minors."

Me: "Why would a group of teenagers be underground in a mine?"

Student: "Yeah, that's what I want to know…"

Me: "Miners… m-i-n-e-r-s…"

I won't even tell you about my discussion with my BFF Jennifer concerning her mother's 80th birthday and mint tins.


3 comments:

HappyChyck said...

Uh, I'm pretty sure you stole that story from my classroom. No joke!

askthehomediva said...

Isn't it amazing how kids always think they're different, but they're pretty much the same no matter where you go?

Sarah Garb said...

It really is good to clarify all your terms :) Who only knows what my third graders think of the news we read about!