Saturday, January 9, 2010

Invisible Snow, School Cancellations & Yearbook Page Proofs

I hate snow days.

We had one on Thursday.

It was very, very, very cold that day. My yard was frosty. The cat's water bowl on the front porch was frozen. And, all the dog's noses were cold.

But snow? Not a flake in sight.

Ice? Well, just a tad here and there.

Since my alarm clock goes off at the twisted hour of 5 a.m., I had already stumbled out of bed, eaten breakfast and dressed  for work by the time I got the telephone notification that school was delayed for two hours. Jeez Louise, I had even dried my hair and slapped on some make up.

No problem. I just fired up my computer and started working on stuff.

Then, at 8:32 a.m., school was canceled. My district was one of the few in our area to shut down. The decision for us apparently had much to do with the dangers of driving school buses on rural roads. Still, I always hate to give up a balmy spring day to make up for a nasty, cold day—especially when I'm already dressed and ready to go. Hails bails, my lunch was even made.

I hated it even more when  I realized I had left all those nasty, unfinished yearbook page proofs on my desk.

1 comment:

Mister Teacher said...

Yeah, when these cold as heck days roll around, I am always emotionally torn in my mind -- I don't want to give up a day in the spring, but MAN, it would be nice to sleep in on a freezing day!!

Thursday was horrible for getting to work, took me an hour on icy roads, but no closings this week in Dallas...