Sunday, September 28, 2008

Blues, Basements & Bailouts

With all the fuss over my inclusion in School Gate, London Times education site, I almost forgot to post something new. Jeez Louise!

For now, let’s just attribute part of my memory lapse to a rather “interesting” week. You remember “interesting” don’t you? (Our little fill-in-the-blank code word for when someone or something renders us speechless or when we want to shout at the top of our lungs, “Why you big, fat…” Awwww, you know the rest. And, no siree, Missy, I’m not going to say it. I’ve got that counter thingy to think about.)

OK, so let’s just get back to my “interesting” week. First, we were––make that still are--on our first newspaper deadline. Since that was/is such an ugly mess, I still can’t talk about it because my mother taught me, “If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all…”

So for right now, I won’t say anything about my newspaper staffers and deadline, bless their hearts, until I start feeling the love again.

Hmmmm…that leaves my photography classes. They just finished their first project and we posted all the photographs to critique.

Uh-oh. Nope. I probably shouldn’t discuss that one either. Let’s just say that there was a rather significant collection of photos that had a rather bluish cast to them. Animals with blue noses, people with bluish skin, fences with blue-toned wood, and, of course, a dog with blue fur. I rather felt like I was stuck in a Blue’s Clues episode gone bad. I guess in their defense I should say that one of our school colors is blue so perhaps it was a school spirit thing.

So, my friends, that now leaves just my yearbook staff and my Journalism I class. Well, let’s just say my yearbook editor scares me lately. Somehow she’s perfected in 17 years what has taken me 50-something years to develop: a persona of pure intimidation. She wants this special linen cover that costs an extra $2+ a book. And guess what? She’s getting that cover if I have to get a government bailout to do it.

Speaking of government bailouts, every Friday we discuss current events in my Journalism I class, so of course, we talked about the current financial crisis and government proposed bail-out.


One student wanted to know why we just didn’t print more money to solve the problem.

Me… “Well, it doesn’t work that way. It’s kind of complicated, but everyone’s economy is connected to each other and if we have too much money circulating around, then the money isn’t worth anything.”

Kid #1…“Why not? It’s just money. We should print up some more.”

Me… “Well, dear, if it really worked that way, we’d all be printing money in our basements. If, of course, we had basements.” (Remember this is Texas.)

Kid #2…“I know what they should do.”

Me…“What?”

Kid #2…“You know that $2,000 everyone got as part of that stimulus package?”

Me… (secretly thrilled, the children knew about the stimulus package)…“Yes…”

Kid #2… “Well, $2,000 wasn’t enough to buy enough of anything to stimulate anything. The government needs to give everyone $200,000. Now, that would stimulate the economy…”

All the kids simultaneously… “Yeah!”

Me…“Hey, you can’t give away money you don’t have…”

Oh, wait… I guess you can.

8 comments:

Clix said...

Naked Economics is an awesome book, and probably available at your local library.

Anonymous said...

I was at MHS last Friday. I was planning to stop by, but Savins told me that if I stopped by during this deadline, you'd probably have me write a column on the spot. So... yeah. Didn't swing by to say hey. See you Christmas!

askthehomediva said...

father ronaldus,
You should have dropped by… I always have time for you (deadline or no deadline). I trust all is well? Will see you at Christmas!

Melissa B. said...

Hey, Richie, you need moi at the helm of that newspaper! We've done 2 issues so far this year (and we started the day after Labor Day), and we're working on our 3rd and 4th issues now. Let me at 'em--I'll kick some booty for ya!

askthehomediva said...

Melissa B.,
I wouldn't do that to you… I like you too much :-)…

This is what happens when most of the staff graduates and most of the remaining staffers are sophomores and juniors. sigh. I think I'm getting too old for this…

HappyChyck said...

Melissa's done two issues already? Bless her heart. I am not sure I can say much about my newspaper, either, except someone needs to teach those kids to write. And maybe I need to pass publications off to that young, new teacher who was exclaiming that it all looks like so much fun. Yep! It sure does!

askthehomediva said...

Happychyck,
yeah, fun in a sort of twisted, sick kind of way ;-)

Melissa B. said...

You crack me up So Much, that I'm featuring this Twisted Post at my place today. Thanks for the inspiration!