Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Deadlines, Purses & Onions

We’ve just about wrapped up the yearbook, mailing off the almost-last batch of page proofs. However, it’s hard to enjoy the brief lull because, of course, newspaper has entered into another deadline.

And deadlines, we know, for both publications brings some rather “interesting” things.

While trying to finish up the last batch of yearbook proofs, I overheard my business editor arguing rather loudly with the yearbook editor.

“Is everything OK?” I asked when he walked into the main classroom.

“Yeah,” he said. “It’s all under control.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Yep, everything’s OK,” he said, grabbing the editor’s purse and slinging it over his shoulder.

“Well, everything except the fact that I’m carrying a purse,” he added as he walked back into the publications room.

I thought it best to just keep working.

And, then, of course, there’s the newspaper staff. My newspaper editor and editor in chief have been working very hard on a difficult story. I told them if the story didn’t make me teary-eyed then they haven’t done their job. Now, please keep in mind, I’m not much of a crier at all, and they know this.

My entertainment editor, who should have been working on her pages, told the girls, “You’re going to need some strategically placed onions under her eyes.”

But Pizza Andy had a better idea: “Hmmm, does this paper smell like tear gas?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This Pizza Andy guy seems to infiltrate a lot of your blogs. He must be a hoot to work with.